If you are a regular reader of my blog then you are probably aware that I am a big fan of reading. I read a lot of books and a whole variety of genres. I have always loved reading ever since I was a young girl. Last summer I did some reading recommendations and I know my readers enjoyed seeing what I had read. So I have put together 20 books you should read this summer based on some great books I have read in the last few months.
- This book contains affiliate links. To find out information about my affiliate links please check my disclosures page
I have included links to the books as well as my thoughts and opinions on the book or books. Then I included the Goodreads rating. I keep track of my books on Goodreads and lots of people use the site so this gives you a good idea of how people feel about the book on average. Most books have lots of ratings and it’s out of 5 stars.
- Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll : This was a great read. I liked that there was a bit of mystery to it. You got more of the story as the book went on and got to understand the characters better. It’s going to be made into a movie soon from Reese Witherspoon’s production company.
Goodreads rating: 3.46/5
2. Year of Yes by Shonda Rhimes : What an inspiring book by the creator of Grey’s Anatomy and Scandal. I love her shows so I was excited to read her book and was not disappointed.
This is a book and the sequel. I saw the preview fir Me Before You which comes to theaters in June and knew I needed to read the book. It’s fantastic but be prepared to cry. The first book is better in my opinion but I enjoyed them both a lot.
Goodreads rating: book 1: 4.3/5 book 2:3.72/5
4. The Lunar Chronicles): Cinder, Scarlet, Cress and Winter by Marissa Meyer: I just read this series and it was fantastic. It’s a young Adult series. That is a futuristic fantasy story that is inspired by fairy tales. The four main characters are each inspired by a fairy tale character Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel, and Snow White. I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to.
Goodreads rating: book 1: 4.14/5 book 2:4.31/5 book 3: 4.48/5 book 4: 4.52/5
5. This is where it Ends by Marieke Nijkamp: The story of school shooting told by different perspectives of the students there that day. There are 4 main characters that you go through the experience with. It really shows how the experience of a school shooting impacts and affects the people going through it.
Goodreads rating: 3.66/5
6. The School of Greatness by Lewis Howes: This is another self help book that is written by Lewis Howes who is a very successful former Athlete who was injured and took that same drive for sports and teaches you how to put that into being successful in other areas of life.
7. Thrown of Glass Series (4 books in total) by Sarah J. Maas: This is another Young adult series that I read a couple months ago. It was fantastic and a great read. I went through these 4 books very quickly because it was so good and I just wanted to keep reading. It has a very compelling story line and great characters.
Goodreads rating: book 1: 4.23/5 book 2:4.52/5 book 3: 4.57/5 book 4: 4.63/5
8. Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert: Brought to you by the author of Eat, Pray, Love and this book is also fantastic just like her previous work. This book is about being a creative person and how to live life to it’s fullest and was full of inspiration and wisdom.
9. The Inn Boonsboro Trilogy by Nora Roberts: I have always been a fan of romance novels and Nora Roberts is great at them. This was a really cute trilogy with great characters and I really enjoyed them.
Goodreads rating: book 1: 4.11/5 book 2: 4.05/5 book 3: 4.13/5
10. Love, Rosie by Cecelia Ahern: I saw a preview for this movie that is on DVD or Amazon Prime and it looked adorable so I got the book. It seemed like a sweet and complicated love story and that’s what it is. It wasn’t one of my favorites but it was still a real good read.
11. The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins: I included this in last summer’s Books to read but the trailer for the movie coming into theaters in October was just released. The book was also so great that it is worth sharing again. It’s one of those books that is so thrilling that you can’t put down.