We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
I’m guessing since you came over to read this post you have a problem with clutter. I understand what you are going through because for my entire life I have struggled with clutter and my want to be a neater person but my natural tendency to be messy.
I wrote a post about the reasons why having less can make you happier. It does make you happier when you stop the compulsion to have more. I’ve gotten better at not getting as much stuff and limiting what comes into y house. The problem though is that I still have too much stuff in my house.
With a big move to a different state planned for this spring/ summer. We have been doing some major purging and decluttering. Which is awesome! It also has made me very aware of how much stuff in my home is just junk. Things we don’t need, use or want. So why is it here? I don’t know but you have lots of the same things you should throw out that are just clutter. So let’s begin and start getting rid of things for good.
Now a lot of the things on this list can be straight away tossed into the trash or recycled. Some items however if still in good condition and someone else could get use out of them can instead be donated.
1. broken or unwanted magnets
2. old and expired food in your pantry
3. broken utensils or cooking tools
4. cleaning supplies that you don’t use or like
5. Recipe books that you don’t use. Mostly because you get all your recipes online.
6. excess baking trays, pots, pans, dishes that you don’t need (these can be donated if in good condition)
7. Any paper clutter like receipts, manuals, bills, etc. put away what needs to be saved and toss the rest
8. Anything in your fridge that is past it’s prime or you know you won’t use.
9. Any old or almost empty spices and oils that can be trashed or bottled together to save space. Do you really need 3 half filled garlic salts? Nope
10. Novelty cups that never get used but take up space. You know the ones from amusement parks, sporting events, restaurants, etc.
11. Extra tupperware or pieces without lids
12.extra plastic bags from stores. We use to have tons of these until California stopped using them and you have to pay for them.
13. Any paper or plastic plates, cups, and utensils that are not going to be used. Donate or toss them!
14. baby/kid cups, plates, and utensils that are no longer needed
15. broken appliances or parts from old appliances you no longer have
16. ketchup, sauce packets, straws from fast food/take out
17. empty jars or bottles that you don’t need
18. mostly empty bottles of cleaning sprays
Living room/dining room
1. Magazines and newspapers
2. Books you aren’t going to read or won’t read again
3. Any old or worn blankets, pillows or rugs.
4. Any dead or dying plants
5. unused storage boxes or bins
6. any paper stacks that can be filed and thrown away
7. Any games with broken or missing pieces
8. Old CD’s or DVD’s that can be thrown out or given away
9. Any broken or unused electronics like TV’s or DVD players
10. unused or unwanted candles or air fresheners
11. broken or damaged memorabilia and decorations
12. old pet toys and supplies that are not used or needed
13. broken picture frames or wall art
14. damaged or ruined furniture that you need to let go of.
1 old or almost empty medications
2. old or gross makeup
3. towels or rugs hat are worn or damaged
4. old hairbrushes and combs
5. products that you didn’t end up liking or are empty or gone bad
6. empty tissue boxes or toilet paper rolls that need to be tossed
7. old toothbrushes and toiletries that are expired or extra
8. broken hair ties or hair accessories
9. expired skin care products like creams and lotions
10. old nail polishes and perfumes that can be tossed out
11. Old baby or kid products if they are no longer in use
12. product samples that you don’t need and just have
13. old or worn washcloths and rags
14. expired medication or vitamins
1 worn or damaged sheets
2. extra blankets or bedding that can be donated
3. clothing that is stained or ruined
4. Clothing that is outdated or no longer fits
5. Earrings that are missing a pair
6. Any broken or outdated jewelry that is no longer worn
7. broken or unused electronics that can be donated or recycled
8. scarves and belts that you don’t want or wear any longer
9. unused purses and unworn shoes
10. storage boxes or containers that you don’t need
11. Worn out undergarments and socks
12. old candles that are burned down or you don’t enjoy
Kids bedroom/ playroom
1 broken toys that can’t be played with
2. toys that no longer get played with and can be given away
3. Games with lost parts or pieces
4. puzzles with missing pieces
5. toys that have been outgrown and can be given to younger kids
6. baby items that are no longer needed and can be given away
7. clothing that no longer fits
8. shoes that no longer fit
9. Stuffed animals that are worn or frayed
10. damaged or destroyed books
11. old markers, crayons, and art supplies
12. DVDs and books that have been outgrown and no longer interested in
1 old textbooks or books from work courses
2. notebooks that have been written in and you don’t need
3. pens and markers that don’t work any longer
4. old receipts
5. outdated coupons and flyers
6. old phones and chargers
7. old and outdated papers and documents
8. batteries, keys and other things found in junk drawers
9. broken or unneeded electronics that can be recycled or given away
10. wrapping paper or bags that you don’t need
11. old manuals that you don’t need
12. broken or unwanted holiday decorations
13. excess children’s art work or school work. You don’t need to keep it all.
14. crafting supplies that you don’t use or want
15. Old and outdated calendars and planners
16. old greeting cards that you don’t want to keep
17. photos that are not good enough to keep in albums or scan onto the computer
Other clutter places and stuff
1 clean out your glove compartment
2. clean out your wallet and purse. Clean out those receipts, trash and junk
3. throw out broken outdoor toys or tools
4. toss old paint and spray paint cans out
5. old gardening and yard supplies
Well, that’s my list for now. I’m sure as I keep packing and getting ready to move I will find more things I am ready to get rid of and that can be tossed. A lot of these things you should throw out that are just clutter can probably be given away or donated. I tried to mention that by many of them. Some things are obviously trash like broken or expired things. If something is in good condition though and you just don’t need it then find someone who can use it.
I hope this list helps you to declutter your home of some things you don’t need