We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Last Updated on June 28, 2019 by karissa ancell
Back when I got started in blogging in June of 2012, I really knew very little about blogging. I read a couple blogs but didn’t do a lot of research. Just kind of jumped in and got started. So if I could go back and tell my pre blogging self a few things about blogging. This is what I’d tell her
1. You will grow and change over time and your blog will as well. The important thing is to be authentic and write as you. Not who you were or who you wish you were.
2. Get inspiration from other bloggers but again be you and don’t try to be them.
3. Get out there and read and comment on other blogs. It feels good to get comments, so give them too. Also it gets your blog out there, which is a good thing.
4. Don’t compare yourself to others. You don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes, maybe their lives are that perfect or maybe they are just better at hiding the bad stuff.
5. All you can do is keep trying to make your own blog better so focus on that and not where you aren’t yet.
6. Try your best to be consistent. I don’t write the same number of posts each week but I aim for a few posts a week so that people won’t forget about me or wonder where I’ve disappeared to.
7. Sometimes I need breaks though to deal with real life business and that’s ok. I will usually just post a message saying I won’t be around much the next week. I need to recharge sometimes.
8. Add more photos. I’m still working on this one but I’m better than I was in the beginning. Also posts look better with bigger photos in them.
9. Blogging takes awhile to be successful. Just keep at it.
10. Your best posts come from where you don’t expect them. You never know what people will connect with. I wrote a post two years ago to my daughter and it still gets tons of views. Who knew?