We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Last Updated on May 24, 2020 by karissa ancell
I’ve decided to do something different with my monthly goals post and my income and blog traffic reports. I was feeling like these two posts each month were feeling pretty stale and I wasn’t excited to write them as much. At the same time, I love setting monthly goals and find it helpful to share my reports and goals each month.
It was just time to shake things up and make these posts more fun and interesting to write so that they are more enjoyable for you to read. The last few months I have felt kind of stale and not as interested in my blog and that means things need to get changed and I need to update how I’m doing things and also try some new things.
Why do I share these monthly reports? I have a few reasons
- I have loved reading other bloggers reports and still do. I learn so much from them and hope to offer the same to other bloggers. I enjoy reading reports from bloggers bigger and smaller than me. I have learned a lot from bigger and smaller blogs.
- It holds me accountable to my blog and continuing to grow my business. Even on months where my growth is smaller I still feel accountable to share
I did alright in October. Slightly less than September but an ok month for my blog. My hope is to start increasing my affiliate income more as well as start selling my book and creating other products. Right now a good portion of my income comes from ads and sponsored posts and I would rather make the majority of my income with products and affiliate sales.
If you are a blogger I would love for you to check out my new e-book Boost your Pinterest Presence. In this book, I walk you through how to use Pinterest to grow your blog and create pins that get shared.
Sponsored posts: $110
affiliate income: $55
Total income: $411
Convertkit $29 –
Ivory mix: $10 –
Blogger’s Guide to Membership Site -$20- This is a great membership site. I’m a big fan of Terra from Uncork your Dork so when she put together a membership site with all her challenges and pieces of training I knew I wanted to check it out. I did the free trial and decided to invest in the subscription. I’m currently going through her training of launching a challenge. Next, I want to go through the SEO training. There is so much valuable information in this membership that the monthly cost is worth it because I need to keep learning to grow my traffic and income.
$0 Tailwind I pay for this annually. Tailwind is the scheduler I use when I do all my pinning on Pinterest. It’s my favorite scheduler I use for myself and cover a lot of why I love it and how to use it in my ebook.
Total Expenses: $79
Now that I’ve been doing income reports for more than a year! Which is crazy it feels like I just started sharing them I want to see how I’m growing.
My Blog Traffic in October
My blog traffic was not great in October. It was down quite a bit from last month. I like comparing my traffic month to month because I find it helpful to see if my blog is growing. It’s not always the best way to see your growth though. If you’ve been blogging for awhile it’s a good idea to compare this year’s traffic to the year before. I’ve been told that is a more accurate way to see if your blog is growing. So I compared this October to October of last year.
My traffic in October was also down from last years traffic. That was unfortunate to see. I think it was a slow month for a few reasons. Including that I just wasn’t active enough with my blog. I didn’t post enough or share my blog on social media as often as I needed to. Hopefully, November will see much better numbers and some traffic growth.
What worked for my blog in October
1. Updating some of my evergreen Holiday content. I tend to see a lot of traffic to my blog during the holidays. So I made the time to update my Thanksgiving and Christmas posts. I wanted to make sure that new readers who find my blog through those posts are being taken to good updated posts.
2. I spent a lot of time on education. I love blogging courses and ebooks. So I made time to really invest in my education. I’m hoping that things I learn will pay off in the next year. If you want to spend some time on blog education. I have my Pinterest ebook, which will help you finally figure out how to use Pinterest. Another resource I love is anything by Ruth Soukup of Elite Blog Academy. I learned so much as a new blogger from her site.
3. Starting to organize my blog content, product creation, etc with Airtable. I’m still a newbie at it but so far I’m really liking it and believe that it will make quite a difference in keeping my blog organized. I still love Evernote but I mostly use that for my personal life and feel that airtable is going to be a better fit for my blogging things.
What didn’t work for my blog in October
Sticking to a schedule: I know part of the reason for my lower traffic in October was that I didn’t stay on schedule. That meant I didn’t get things published and shared. So it’s one of my major focuses for November. Making and staying on schedule so I can accomplish a lot.
Finishing my challenge: I have an upcoming challenge that I had hoped to get launched in October that didn’t happen. I am close to being finished though and my goal is to launch it real soon. I will be announcing the dates to my email list so make sure you sign up.
Here are my top blog goals and priorities for November 2017:
- My main goal is to get my challenge out and have a successful launch of it. I feel like I’ve been working on this FOREVER and am so excited to get it out to you guys.
- to update my sales and landing pages. I’m spending time learning what makes pages convert better and need to improve my existing pages
- make updates to my two other challenges. My Productivity and Pinterest challenges both need some TLC and a makeover.
To help you grow your own blogs and start making your own income I wanted to include some resources. The best way to grow your blog is to be constantly willing to learn through reading and growing your knowledge.
Amazing Books on blogging that will help you take your blog to the next level:
- Building A Framework ( check out more about this here.)
- Blog, Inc.
- How To Blog For Profit Without Selling Your Soul
- You are a Badass
Other posts you might like:
- How to Make Money Blogging
- More Ways to make money Blogging
- Should you do posts for free
- How I finally started making money blogging
Grab a copy of my new book to help you learn Pinterest to grow your blog traffic. This book will help you finally understand Pinterest and start growing your blog on this amazing platform!