Summertime can get expensive if I try to entertain my daughter for a couple months without putting thought into it. I’m lucky she had two summer trips with family this summer which takes three weeks of her summer out of my hands. Also, her cousins are visiting for a couple weeks so we will have family events during those times to keep busy and have fun. So I have put together some ideas and ways to have fun and not go broke this summer because I want our summers to be a good time for my daughter and family but not have to spend a lot of money.
1. Buy a few cheap outdoor toys when you can find them. There are balls, bubbles, chalk, squirt guns. That way on days that are warm but not too hot they can go outside with the neighbor kids and not be bored.
2.Find someone that has a pool. Maybe family or a friends house that will let you get good use out of in the summer. Kids love to swim and it can tire them out.
3. If they love to bake you can plan on a couple baking sessions. When it’s hot I try to limit the oven to only a few occasions and during not peak hot hours You can bake cookies, cupcakes, etc.
4. My daughter loves art so she is fine spending time gluing coloring using paint and glitter. It’s also one of the few areas of play and toys that I don’t mind spending a little because she does enjoy it so much and doesn’t outgrow it before losing interest.
5. If you have passes that you got for birthday and Christmas presents like we have the summer is a great time to use them. Free family fun if we bring a lunch to eat in the car with us in a cooler.
6. You can also plan a trip to the beach or a lake as well. You probably already have suits and towels. Get a couple beach toys and a lunch and it’s a fun inexpensive day.
7. Movies. The first showing in the morning and the discount theater make it affordable and on the days where its crazy hot we will need it. Look around your area for deals on movies. I know one theater nearby me that is playing summer movies for a dollar a ticket Saturday mornings this summer.
8. Lots of reading books, playing games, watching movies in the cool indoors.
So hopefully we can stay cool and busy without going broke this summer. What summer activities do you plan to do?